Georgetown Environment Initiative Postdoctoral Fellow (2019)
Georgetown University, Department of Biology (Lab of Shweta Bansal)
Georgetown-SESYNC Joint Postdoctoral Fellow (2018)
University of Maryland College Park, National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) &
Georgetown University, Department of Biology (Lab of Shweta Bansal)
Annapolis, MD // Washington, DC
Ph.D., Environmental Science, Policy, and Management (2018, University of California Berkeley)
M.S., Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (2013, University of Connecticut)
B.S., Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (2012, University of Connecticut)
B.A., Environmental Studies (2012, University of Connecticut)
Solar Radiation Management Governance Initiative: Developing Country Impacts Modelling Analysis for SRM (DECIMALS) fund, “Evaluating health impacts of solar radiation management in a risk-risk framework.” October 2018. $41,223 USD.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (AR6). Contributing author, Chapter 9: Africa. (2019—)
Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES). Thematic Assessment on Land Degradation and Restoration. Contributing author, Chapter 5: Land degradation and restoration associated with changes in ecosystem services and functions and human well-being and good quality of life. (2016-2017)
34. CJ Carlson & E Mendenhall. (2019) Preparing for emerging infections means expecting new syndemics. The Lancet, 10.1016/S0140-6736(19)31237-1
33. CJ Carlson, CM Zipfel, R Garnier, & S Bansal. (2019) Global estimates of mammalian viral diversity accounting for host sharing. Nature Ecology and Evolution, 10.1038/s41559-019-0910-6
32. CJ Carlson†, IA Kracalik†, N Ross, K Alexander, ME Hugh-Jones, M Fegan, B Elkin, T Epp, T Shury, M Bagirova, WM Getz, & JK Blackburn. (2019) The global distribution of Bacillus anthracis and associated anthrax risk to humans, livestock, and wildlife. Nature Microbiology,10.1038/s41564-019-0435-4.
31. SJ Ryan†, CJ Carlson†, EA Mordecai, LR Johnson. Global expansion and redistribution of Aedes-borne virus transmission risk with climate change. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 13 (3): e0007213
30. L Bartlett, CJ Carlson, & MR Boots. The potential risk to honeybees of Zika vector control in the United States. Journal of Apicultural Research, 57: 709-719.
29. TA Dallas, AA Aguire, S Budischak, CJ Carlson, V Ezenwa, B Han, S Huang, & PR Stephens. (2018) Gauging support for macroecological patterns in helminth parasites. Global Ecology & Biogeography, 27: 1437-1447.
28. CJ Carlson & CH Trisos. (2018) Climate engineering needs a clean bill of health. Nature Climate Change, 8: 843-845.
27. CJ Carlson. (2018) Review: Zika: The Emerging Epidemic (Donald G. McNeil Jr., 2016). Quarterly Review in Biology, 93: 286-287.
26. AL Bond, CJ Carlson, & KR Burgio. (2018) Local extinctions of insular avifauna on the most remote inhabited island in the world. Journal of Ornithology, DOI: 10.1007/s10336-018-1590-8.
25. CJ Carlson, KR Burgio, & AL Bond. (2018) Re-evaluating sighting models, and moving beyond them, to test and contextualize the extinction of the thylacine. Conservation Biology, DOI: 10.1111/cobi.13187
24. DP Seidel, ER Dougherty, CJ Carlson, & WM Getz. (2018) Ecological metrics and methods for GPS movement data. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2018.1498097
23. ER Dougherty, CJ Carlson, JK Blackburn, & WM Getz. (2018) Commentary to: A cross-validation-based approach for delimiting reliable home range estimates. Movement Ecology, 6: 10.
22. KR Burgio, CJ Carlson, & AL Bond. (2018) Georeferenced sighting and specimen occurrence data of the extinct Carolina Parakeet (Conuropsis carolinensis) from 1564 – 1944. Biodiversity Data Journal 6: e25280.
21. K Bell, CJ Carlson, & AJ Phillips. (2018) Parasite collections: an overlooked resource for integrative research and conservation. Trends in Parasitology, 34 (8): 637-639.
20. CJ Carlson, WM Getz, KL Kausrud, CA Cizauskas, JK Blackburn, FAB Carrillo, R Colwell, WR Easterday, HH Ganz, PL Kamath, OA Økstad, WC Turner, AB Kolstø, & NC Stenseth. (2018) Spores and soil from six sides: interdisciplinarity and the environmental biology of anthrax (Bacillus anthracis). Biological Reviews doi: 10.1111/brv.12420.
19. CJ Carlson, ER Dougherty, MR Boots, WM Getz, & SJ Ryan. (2018) Consensus and conflict among ecological forecasts of Zika virus outbreaks in the United States. Scientific Reports 8: 4921.
18. SJ Ryan†, CA Lippi†, CJ Carlson, AM Stewart-Ibarra, MJ Borbor-Cordova, MM Romero, SA Cox, R Mahon, & A Trotman. (2018) Zika virus outbreak, Barbados, 2015-2016. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, 98 (6): 1857-1859.
17. ER Dougherty, CJ Carlson, JK Blackburn, & WM Getz. (2018) Correction to: A cross-validation-based approach for delimiting reliable home range estimates. Movement Ecology 5: 26.
16. ER Dougherty†, DP Seidel†, CJ Carlson, O Spiegel, & WM Getz. (2018) Going through the motions: incorporating movement analyses into disease research. Ecology Letters 21 (4): 588-604. doi:10.1111/ele.12917
15. WM Getz†, CR Marshall†, CJ Carlson, L Giuggioli, SJ Ryan, C Boettiger, SD Chamberlain, L Larsen, P D’Odorico, D O’Sullivan, & SS Romañach. (2018) Making ecological models adequate. Ecology Letters 21(2): 153-166. doi:10.1111/ele.12893.
14. CJ Carlson, AL Bond, & KR Burgio. (2018) Estimating the extinction date of the thylacine with mixed certainty data. Conservation Biology. DOI:10.1111/cobi.13037.
13. SJ Ryan†, CJ Carlson†, AM Stewart-Ibarra, MJ Borbor-Cordova, MM Romero, SA Cox, R Mahon, A Trotman, SS Ville, & S Ahmed. (2017) Zika virus outbreak, Dominica, 2016. Emerging Infectious Diseases. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2311.171140
12. ER Dougherty, CJ Carlson, JK Blackburn, & WM Getz. (2017) A cross-validation-based approach for delimiting reliable home range estimates. Movement Ecology 5: 19.
11. CJ Carlson, KR Burgio†, ER Dougherty†, AJ Phillips†, VM Bueno, CF Clements, G Castaldo, TA Dallas, CA Cizauskas, GS Cumming, J Doña, NC Harris, R Jovani, S Mironov, OC Muellerklein, HC Proctor, & WM Getz. (2017) Parasite biodiversity faces extinction and redistribution in a changing climate. Science Advances 3: e1602422.
10. WM Getz, CJ Carlson, ER Dougherty, TC Porco, & R Salter. (2017) An agent-based model of school closing in under-vaccinated communities during measles outbreaks. Simulation 00(0): 1-9.
9. KR Burgio, CJ Carlson, & M Tingley. (2017) Lazarus ecology: recovering the distribution and migratory patterns of the extinct Carolina parakeet. Ecology and Evolution 00: 1-9.
8. WM Getz, K Baas, CJ Carlson, ER Dougherty, & OC Muellerklein. (2017) Lessons from community-based conservation for rethinking elections. Political Insights 8(1): 33-37.
7. CA Cizauskas†, CJ Carlson†, KR Burgio, CF Clements, NC Harris, ER Dougherty, & AJ Phillips. (2017) Parasite vulnerability to climate change: an evidence-based functional trait approach. Royal Society Open Science 4: 160535
6. WM Getz, OC Muellerklein, R Salter, CJ Carlson, AJ Lyons, & DP Seidel. (2016) A web app for population viability and harvesting analyses. Natural Resource Modeling, 13 p. DOI:10.1111/nrm.12120.
5. CJ Carlson†, ER Dougherty†, & WM Getz. (2016) An ecological assessment of the pandemic threat of Zika virus. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 10(8): e0004968.
4. ER Dougherty†, CJ Carlson†, VM Bueno, KR Burgio, CA Cizauskas, CF Clements, DP Seidel, & NC Harris. (2015) Paradigms for parasite conservation. Conservation Biology, DOI:10.1111/cobi.12634.
3. WM Getz, JP Gonzalez, R Salter, J Bangura, CJ Carlson, M Coomber, ER Dougherty, D Kargbo, ND Wolfe, & N Wauquier. (2015) Tactics and strategies for managing Ebola outbreaks and the salience of immunization. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine 2015: 9p. DOI:10.1155/2015/736507.
2. CJ Carlson, CA Cizauskas, KR Burgio, CF Clements, & NC Harris. (2013) The more parasites, the better? Science 342(6162): 1041.
1. T Landberg, CJ Carlson, K Abernathy, C Luginbuhl, P Gemme, & C Mergins. (2011) Natural History Notes: Chelydra serpentina serpentina L. (Eastern Snapping Turtle). Survival after injury. Herpetological Review 4(1): 70-71.
CJ Carlson, KR Burgio, TA Dallas, & AL Bond. Spatial extinction date estimation: a novel method for reconstructing spatiotemporal patterns of extinction and identifying potential zones of rediscovery. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/03/11/279679
CJ Carlson, OC Muellerklein, AJ Phillips, KR Burgio, G Castaldo, CA Cizauskas, GS Cumming, TA Dallas, J Dona, N Harris, R Jovani, Z Miao, H Proctor, HS Yoon, WM Getz. The Parasite Extinction Assessment & Red List: an open-source, online biodiversity database for neglected symbionts. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/09/21/192351
TA Dallas†, CJ Carlson†, & T Poisot. Leveraging pathogen community distributions to understand outbreak and emergence potential. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/08/03/336065
ER Dougherty, DP Seidel, CJ Carlson, WM Getz. Using movement data to estimate contact rates in a simulated disease system. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/02/07/261198